Welcome to the Brewster Kaleidoscope Society (BKS). We are a community of artists, collectors and galleries committed to the promotion of kaleidoscopes as a unique art form.
- Read about the new BKS structure -as a membership-based nonprofit organization.
- Summer 2013 NewsScope is on-line for members to view or download. (Although downloads will take longer, color graphics are no longer compressed.)
- Read the profiles of the leadership team.
- BKS Artist, Arny Weinstein featured on American Craft Council’s website.
- Remembering Jan Boal
- Thanks to all for a great 2013 Brewster Convention
Effective January 1, 2013 the Brewster Kaleidoscope Society began operating as a member owned and member governed non-profit corporation. For many years the society was operated by our founder Cozy Baker as a sole proprietorship. When she retired she asked some of the members to assume the leadership roles. They formed an LLC and operated the society in the traditions established by Cozy. In 2012 the members of the LLC felt it was time to move the society to the next level as a member driven organization. At the 2012 convention in Atlanta a steering committee was formed to manage the transition.
Our goal was to form an organization that preserved the traditions and activities of BKS and be managed by a leadership team comprised of members elected by the general membership. The committee explored a number of organizational options and ultimately chose to organize as a nonprofit corporation under the statutes of Missouri. Note, that while we are a non-profit corporation. We are not organized as a 501(c) tax exempt corporation. Membership dues and gifts do not qualify as charitable contribution for the donor.